Please read before upgrading your firmware:
- Upgrading firmware (in most cases) will reset all the settings to default which means you will lose all your settings (including your password).
- Unless specified, you do not have to upgrade incrementally. You can upgrade directly to the newest version.
- Unless the new version of firmware is only a minor upgrade, you cannot use the backup settings feature to save and apply setting to the newer firmware.
- Do NOT upgrade firmware from a computer with a wireless connection. Use a computer that you can connect to the router using a Ethernet cable. You may damage the router due to the increased chances of packet loss in a wireless connection environment.
- Turn off or pause all anti-virus and firewall programs on your PC
Step 1. Download the latest firmware. Visit http://support.dlink.com/dgl-5500/. Make sure to save the file in an easy to find location (e.g., Desktop or Download Folder). Firmware files are usually in ZiP file format and must be extracted before using its content.
Step 2. Once you’ve downloaded the firmware, open a web browser (e.g., Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome) and enter the IP address of your router on the address bar (default: 192.168.0.1) you can also use it’s local friendly name http://dlinkrouter.local/.
Step 3. Enter the username (admin) and your password (leave the password field blank of you have not setup a password yet). Click OK to gain access its web configuration pages.
Step 4. Backup your configuration file. Navigate to Maintenance/System/Save Configuration Section. Click on [Save Configuration] button to download your current config file. Make sure to save the file in an easy to find location (e.g., Desktop or Download Folder).
Step 5. Factory Reset the router*. You can do this in two way:
1. Using the routers web interface (navigate to Maintenance/System/Restore to Factory Default section)
2. Using a paper clip and holding down the RESET button, located at the bottom of the unit, for 12 seconds.
Step 6. Update the router from the routers web page. To begin navigate to Maintenance/System/Upgrade Firmware and click the”browse” button find the .bin file extracted from the ZIP file you downloaded.
Step 7. Click Upload. It may take up to 300 seconds for the upgrade process to complete. When the countdown timer finishes, click on the continue button. The firmware is now upgraded. Reset the unit back to factory settings one more time, by following instruction in Step 5.
Step 8. After the router reset process is complete and unit is back to ready, reconfigure the router from scratch or reload the saved configuration file.
Step 9. If you get a Page cannot be displayed or similar error after clicking Continue, close your browser and re-open it. Enter 192.168.0.1* and press Enter. You should now be prompted for your username (admin) and your password (leave blank)by default.
Your Firmware has been updated!
Note: Do not forget to enable your Antivirus and Firewall programs after the upgrade is completed.
*If you have changed the local network IP address segment, resetting the unit will return the routers to it’s original LAN settings of 192.168.0.1/24.
Tags: DGL-5500, Firmware, gaming router