D-Link’s Wireless HDfeatures ActiveTV Online, which gives you access to hundreds of free and premium online channels that you can stream to your home entertainment system.
Experience the stunning picture quality of High-Definition (HD) video and crystal clear sound clarity of digital audio with the D-Link® MediaLounge™ Wireless HD( ). With the , you can sit in the comfort of your living room along with friends and family and enjoy media content available on a networked PC or Network Attached Storage (NAS)1 on your big-screen TV and sound system. The DSM-520 enables streaming of videos, music, and photos over a wireless 802.11g or wired Ethernet connection (a wired network is recommended for optimal video streaming). In addition, the DSM-520 provides a USB 2.0 port in the front panel for instant access to media stored on removable USB flash drives.
CONNECTIONS FOR VIRTUALLY ALL APPLICATIONS
The DSM-520 is optimized for HD picture and digital audio quality with the built-in High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) port. Connect the DSM-520 to your HDTV using the HDMI connection and enjoy the clarity of digital audio and sharp picture quality with resolutions of up to 1080i (HDMI cable sold separately). Other video connectors include component video, S-video, and composite (RCA) output, ensuring compatibility with virtually all television sets. The DSM-520 also supports coax and optical digital audio output for delivering high fidelity digital surround sound. In addition, the DSM-520 supports popular media formats3, including HD video in either Windows Media® Video 9 or MPEG-44 format. And with support for Windows® Media Player 115, files protected by Windows Media Digital Rights Management (WMDRM) can be streamed from your PC to your entertainment center.
1.user sugarski said:
Pros: Stream radio, plug/play, ^ quality 420 to 1080, back-up all DVD’s to DIVX/XVID/MPEG4_SP( Read note on DivX), Buffer.
Cons: Fst fwd rwd slow (4 times normal), USB Capacity, Support_ all vendors R bad, need bookmark 4 video.
Summary: Reviewed 4 different Media Centers & Dlink 520 is the BEST.
1) You can stream radio from many different internet sources & most are free.
2) System is pretty much plug/play. If you have media on your computer it will play on your TV through the 520.
3) I back-up all my DVD’s into DIVX format and 520 can read this format. However you must rename extension from .divx to .avi.
4) 520 increases the quality. I have a HD TV and with an HDMI cable quality is better then normal DVD even though with DivX a movie is compressed from >5GB to <700MB.
5) You can set up different media centers on different computers. As a result your entire family can log their media onto the 520.
6) Buffer ? Evidently some buffer is present. I rebooted my computer during a movie (accidentally) and the movie continued to play for over 3 minutes. Once it stopped it picked back up where it left off once computer was restored.
2.User saketkumar said:
Pros: Stream music, photos, video from any UPnP AV compatible media server, stream online radio from radio@AOL, live365.com, direct USB thumb drive support, stream Windows Media DRM protected content.
Cons: Photo thumbnail support is horrible, UI can be improved, no support for bread crumb, no music album art, video forward/rewind functionality can be improved.
Summary: If you are in the market for Media Receiver/Hub then you may end up buying this. Direct connection to the USB drive open up lot of option for many users.
D-Link DSM-520 Media Receiver (D-link call it MediaLounge) is one the best among the available media receiver in the market. Not only it’s much better than it’s predecessor DSM-320, but with ton’s of additional features it’s affordable too. Having USB thumb drive support in the front gives option to the user to play video files directly from the external hard drive.
It works great with Windows Media Connect and TwonkyVision media server. Besides all kind of video support, DivX support was surprise for me.